Flight Ops to Kigali, Rwanda: The GHI’s 4th African Stakeholders’ Conference gets underway in the Rwandan capital of Kigali this September 11. Here’s the information you need to plan a mission to Kigali International Airport.
Kigali International Airport
- ICAO Code: HRYR
- IATA Code: KGL
- Latitude/ longitude: 1.966389 / 30.13306
- Elevation: 4,891 ft / 1,491 m
- Time zone: GMT +2
- Alternative airport: Kampala International (HUEN)
- Private and non-scheduled flights require both landing and overflight permits
- Airport slots are not required
- Long-term parking should be confirmed at least three days prior to arrival
- Permit applications can be done here. No documentary proof is requested through the online application process but Civil Aviation inspectors usually carry out random inspection of aircraft upon landing to check that documents like Certificate of Airworthiness, Insurance certificates, and Pilot licenses are on board and up to date
- The official permit request lead time is 72 hours but when the application is properly filled, the permit can be issued within minutes
- Permits are valid for 72 hours and can be extended with valid reasons
- The CAA operates Monday to Friday during normal working hours (0800 – 1600LT) and is closed during weekends and public holidays
- Both Jet A-1 and AvGas are generally available from major suppliers at HRYR
- Fueling while passengers are on board is allowed provided fire standby is arranged in advance
- Nationals of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Burundi do not require visas for visits of up to six months
- Nationals of DRC, Hong Kong, Mauritius, Philippines, and Singapore do not require visas for visits of up to three months
- Nationals of all African countries not mentioned above and those of Australia, Germany, Israel, New Zealand, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the United States can obtain a visa on arrival at a fee of USD30 valid for 30 days
- All other nationals require visas prior to commencing the journey; these can be obtained online or at Rwandese diplomatic missions abroad
- Travelers who are also visiting Kenya and Uganda may find it more useful to apply for an East Africa cross-border joint visa which allows entry into all three countries on a single visa
All nationalities can stay in Rwanda for up to 72 hours without a visa. If a longer stay is required, check requirements for specific nationalities.
Yellow fever vaccination is mandatory for entry to Rwanda with a ten-day incubation period. The vaccination is administered to passengers arriving without the certificate after which they are quarantined. Visitors must also carry anti-Malaria medication.
Airport Embarkation Tax
Departure Passenger Tax for Rwanda is USD 20 and is usually paid on the ticket.
- Taxis are readily available at most locations in Kigali and prices are negotiable
- All hotels provide airport shuttles to the airport
- There are buses and smaller vehicles, however, visitors are urged to use taxis
- Liaise with local contacts to give you an idea of the prices
- The city of Kigali is undoubtedly one of Africa’s cleanest and visitors should be careful not to throw litter out of car windows otherwise, they risk being prosecuted
- Plastic bags are prohibited in Rwanda and can be confiscated at the airport – only eco-friendly bags are allowed in supermarkets
For support with your Flight Ops to Kigali, Rwanda, contact UAS